Georg-Kolbe-Museum is located in the former studio-building of the sculptor Georg Kolbe (1877-1947) in Berlin-Westend close to the Olympic Stadium. Created from the estate of Georg Kolbe, this was the first foundation of a new museum in West Berlin in 1950. It was built in 1928 based on designs by Kolbe by Ernst Rentsch and borders on a sculpture garden that is a protected monument as is the whole ensemble. An annex was added in 1996, in order to meet the increased need for professional storage and the continued growth of the exhibition operations.
In 1998 a coffee shop Café K opened in the former home of Kolbe¹s daughter and family in the building next door. This also is where sculpting courses for children are offered on the first Saturday of each month, in cooperation with artists from the museum¹s exhibitions. For quite some time now, the presentation of the collection of central works of representational sculpture of the 20th century (Kolbe, Maillol, Marcks, Barlach, Blumenthal, Scheibe, Lehmbruck, Sintenis and others) has been complemented with temporary exhibitions. Both classic Modernism and the subject of sculpture as such play important roles.
In recent years, the Georg-Kolbe Museum increasingly opened up to contemporary art. The reformulation of the concept of art in the 1960s led to great repercussions, especially in sculpture, which had extended its range into space with objects and installations. The exhibitions here represent a dialog between tradition and the present, which is further intensified in the project room for contemporary sculpture, the “Kunstkammer im Georg-Kolbe-Museum”, created in January of 2009